Thursday, December 25, 2014

Stormy holidays (hollow daze) in Honduras


Christmas afternoon on Roatan 
79 degrees
83% humidity
15 mph winds
Downpour

I'm sitting in a slightly damp hammock- damp from a mix of ocean spray from the onshore winds blowing directly at me and the rain being pushed sideways under the awning I'm under.  The sea is sick and angry- or else just having a blast- tossing and turning and throwing itself around.

I went out on the west end last night with the volunteers and some friends that we've all acquired. west end was wild- full of drink specials and giant blow up santa clauses... People from all over the world milling around the dive shops and western bars... Drinking and laughing and carrying on.


The locals were off the west end lighting off thousands upon thousands of fire crackers, bombs and cannons.... This is a theme in the developing world I've experienced in numerous countries. Celebration = war zone sound effects.
I laughed laying in the dark trying to sleep through the blasts exploding every few moments outside my window. "peace on earth" I though to myself sarcastically.

I woke up to a quiet house and did my best to fill it with classical Christmas music care of iTunes Radio- despite the shitty internet spotting in and out.
The storm was supposed to blow in over night but all I saw when I woke up was the blowing and no storm per say.
The winds are howling through the palm trees and remind me of the north winds that would plague our island home in Indonesia. The devil winds we called them.
Indonesians are somewhat afraid of the wind- when people get sick they say "masuk angin" which means that you've taken the wind inside yourself.
The wind carries bad spirits and they mess with you.
I woke up with a tickle in my throat... And immediately got a feeling of almost fear- completely from Indonesian superstition.

We walked next door to The home of an American couple in their 60s who had invited all the volunteers and Miss Peggy over for Christmas breakfast.
They even cooked the oatmeal with almond milk which I'm sure was just for me.
Dr. Victoria came with a beautiful Guatemalan doctor who she worked with and had a love affair with while working at a clinic in Guatemala... His name was Sergio and he was fascinating.  Victoria, Sergio and nurse Erin went with miss Peggy over to the clinic suddenly when they got a call about a man who needed medical care- so even on Christmas they went to open the closed up Clinica Esperanza to take care of this patient. This is why I love it here.

I came home and Skype/facetimed with family and loved ones - Cary, Tawney, Carlos and family... Until the others came back from the clinic with stories about the patient and we sat around and drank green tea and ate popcorn and watched the storm hammer our little beach house.

It is an odd feeling that's overwhelming me today.
I've spent so so many Christmases away from home and yet this year more than any other, I am truly homesick and miss my dogs, my parents, my room, and of course my Carlos. 

I am so grateful to be here and it's a truly phenomenal experience that I wouldn't trade for the world- I am surrounded by wonderful friends I have made here- but something in me feels hollow and I am actually looking forward to going home in three weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment