Sunday, December 21, 2014

Church = sunbath

I came on the adventure to church this morning and found myself by the pool in a luxury resort.

"The sun is my God, anyway." I told myself in justification.

Yesterday was my solo mission. 
I woke up and came to west end with Bethany to lay by the beach and soak up the morning sun although the clouds rolled in and we didn't have much of a sunbath.  A little lady came by and asked if I would like a massage and being the foot massage junkie that I am, I couldn't resist the 15 minute foot massage for $5.
The beautiful, little, round faced, Honduras woman knelt in the sand and began by washing my feet with ocean water and then oiling them down. I closed my eyes ready to drift off into my happy place when she started to speak to me and ask what brought me to Roatan.  Through an eyes closed dreamy grumble I told her in Spanish that I am working at the clinic.  I found out that this is not the best relaxation strategy because even though I told her multiple times That I was not a doctor yet- she insisted on spending the 15 minutes explaining her child's symptoms to me. 
This seems to be a theme here- "I am not a doctor yet" somehow means "treat me and talk to me like I'm a doctor- and give me responsibilities far out of my scope of practice at this juncture.
I had spent all day Friday shadowing doctors who allowed me to perform the physical examinations and full on take the patient histories and help with treatment plans.
I am NOT complaining because those experience is incredible and allowing me to step way out of my comfort zone... Unafraid to touch, examine and intuit the patients.  There seem to be few rules in this world over here.

Anyway- I convinced my sweet masseuse to bring her baby to the clinic on Monday where she will sit with probably 50 other patients in a waiting room for 4 hours... But it will be free for her to get medicine for her son's two week spell of diarrhea and she will certainly get a lecture from Dr. Coleman for not bringing him in sooner.

I walked over to the dive shop and off I went on the boat to go do two hour long dives in the beautiful stunning reef that surrounds like island.
My second dive was cut short by the fact that I was freezing -this always happens - but despite my 5mm wetsuit and neoprene hood, I started shaking 45 minutes in and had to come up. Grrrrrr.

I came home and had an entire Afternoon/evening to myself to practice yoga, Skype with my parents, sister and boyfriend... And listen to a good but very creepy podcast about murder which is unnerving being that this is the murder Capitol of the world!
Dr Rosanna had parted to go back to Mexico and Bethany was out in West Bay with Siay and Megan- two of the other volunteers.
I was very happy to have an evening to myself, my yoga mat and the sound of my breath- which seemed to be the soundtrack of the day.
Diving to me is the ultimate meditation- just floating and listening to your slow steady breath.

This morning we all woke up since it's Sunday and Mr. Dee and Miss Peggy go to church and invite anyone who wishes to come, to join.
I had been excited to experience a Honduran church in Spanish until I found out that actually this is a conference room at the Infinity Bay resort with a bunch of American ex-pats.
Sounds like what I would get at home and today was a sunny day- a beautiful crystal blue, bright yellow sun kinda sunny day.. So I opted to veer towards to pool instead of the conference hall church.. And here I am... Lathered in maui babe tanning cream and soaking in the tropical sun next to a pool with a waterfall and lounge chairs... Worlds away from what I've experienced so far here in Honduras but I'll admit- a nice change of pace and a wonderful experience to have considering I've had no sun time yet.

This week i will only work Monday and Tuesday and then the clinic is closed from Christmas Eve through the following week... So I will have 12 days with nothing to do...
I was thinking of getting my advanced diver certification, but because there is such an influx of people coming the week after Christmas (I guess it's like a blackout week)... I don't think I'll be able to get on a course! :(

So maybe I will find myself here- at a resort, drinking an epic Bloody Mary, and soaking in the sun between snorkeling adventures out front. What a charmed life I lead that I am disappointed I can't slave away in a clinic treating sick babies and instead have to experience this...
Praising my God... This gorgeous Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment