Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Return to Awesometown

Ladies and gentlemen… i am back from the dead.

"SLOVAKIA!" i screamed and threw my hands in the air signifying that i was "out" of our evening game of "shithead" - the best card game ever invented.

Last year when i was here with Shayne and Pixi, we played and Pixi was the shithead (as always it seems)… There is a presidente who screams orders at the shithead - like "go get me a cold bintang!" and "light my gudang."
… the real important things on an island - cold beer and clove cigarettes.

Michelle was already out and making the final touches on dinner which would be put up on the bar soon- grilled fish and potatoes.
I decided that tonight would be the night that i eat some fish. I really need to get my strength up after this sickness and it had been decided from all around that eating fish caught here in the bay would be a good idea so i am going to do it.

I retired to this hammock where i am lying now… I can see the narrow wooden table where the game is till going on… Tawney is sitting among a table full of boisterous Portugese speaking men… but she is a trooper and seems to be having a ball.

The last ten days have been some of the scariest of my life - its such an unbelievable gift that Tawney arrived here just a few days after I came down with Malaria… and also just in time to see some of the best surfers in the world do impossible things on our front doorstep.

Today i ventured out to sea…

Tawney, Michelle & I had a mermaid convention in the bay…
We walked across the coral, through the scary keyhole and brought a blow up raft and fins… flipping and swimming around in  the sweet water.
It was a glorious rafternoon.

I swam through the healing turquoise waters and then absorbed some sun as we watched Taj Burrow, Dane Reynolds and my buddy Jack from the last trip… They have all been on the red rip curl boat which has been parked at our wave "Pasti" for most of the last week.

Once we were cooked - which didn't take long in the hot sun - and also because it was a HUGE adventure for me to actually do something besides lying in bed… we swam back to shore.

After a nice shower and lather up with bug repellent (I am swimming in the stuff these days after the infection)… we lay in hammocks and listened to Tracy Chapman, ate popcorn, and read our various books.
Tawney and I are both reading Shantaram at the moment. I am ahead of her… but only by a little bit these days after I got SO pissed off at the book when i read the horrific chapter 29 that i turned it over and decided that i would protest for a few days.

Now Mario is screaming at the new "shithead" - our Aussie guest named Mark, and demanding that he dance inside my hoola hoop to the song "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me"

i love it here.

We found out today that the guests we were supposed to have in May have bailed so now there is this time that we have to either play or go on vacation somewhere (ha. i love that we take vacations)… or else i will go work somewhere else for a few weeks - either back to Togat Nusa Retreat or back to Shayne's boat… or else maybe Tawney, Mario, Michelle and I might go to Cambodia.

I never know what is next in life out here… It seems like there is surprise and more awesometown  - sometimes at the end of a scary malaria week - but it comes never the less.

I am finally feeling myself again and not feeling so paranoid and weird all day.(only part of the day. ha.)

I will be coming home to California in August to get ready for my sister Lara's wedding and to enroll in school.
I am doing it.

Nurse Zani is underway… starting this fall with a math class and living with my parents in Cardiff.

As Tracy Chapman says

"I'm ready…."



No comments:

Post a Comment