Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Over the hills and far away

Over the hills and far away

My friend Andrew taught me the beginning of that Led Zeppelin song tonight.

Earlier during our tsunami watch pool tournament under the house where we all played pool while watching the tides and riding out massive 8.2 aftershocks that seemed to shake us harder then the first one, we realized that I had planned to get married at Andrew's grandfather's house in Beverly Hills!
My invitations said "Greystone Manor" and only at the last moment did we switch gears and decide to get married up and over the hill at Lake Shrine on the Ghandi lawn.
Some of our guests who didn't get the last minute change to the invite still went to Andrew's grandfather's house...

Small small world.

It's been fun having so many Americans here- and especially the Californians, who I always find have so much in common with. I talked to my new friend Dillon about a specific restaurant that only a malibu local would know about.

After yoga this morning, Michelle, Dillon & I ventured out around the bay, over the driftwood chunk, coral hills and far away... Well... Not that far away- but considerably far... Far enough that we could strip down to bikinis- something we never do at the resort... Too many locals walking by to and from the village- working and fishing nearby.
Too much skin is just not cool here.

Michelle and I took yoga photos and swirled around in the waves manifesting what we wanted in life...
We are so lucky.



As soon as we returned, I showered and started to give a massage to Tom, the amazing photographer here on behalf of surfing magazine...
Mid massage the room started to sway and rock.
Gembar?
Earthquake?
Everyone turned to one another wide eyed and still to feel the heavy swaying of the earth beneath us.
It seemed to last for an eternity.
I ran down the stairs and stood on the solid ground to feel what was happening.
It was an 8.9 earthquake off Bandah Aceh - just north of where we were.

A tsunami alert went into effect and we all stayed tuned to the news and the tides- ready to make moves to high ground if Mario gave us the nod.
Being Brazilian surfers everyone is non-chalont and flippant about things- making threats and jokes that we were all about to die...
There was a teeter tottering on the verge of panic and worry but instead we took shots of tequila and decided that we would have a tsunami watch party.

Our friends at Latitude Zero, a resort nearby, put their guests in a boat and were idling out off shore... We were ready to get up over the hill and far away from the coast.

The tide surged slightly- only a half a meter at most- which only happened after the second aftershock.

As much as I'd like to say I feel safe and secure and will sleep well tonight, the truth is I am a little scared and wide eyed here in my sleeping nook.

As I said to my friend Clay tonight, "just be ready and be aware."... 
Andre and I decided to be buddy system partners- and totally look out for one another- especially in the event of an emergency.

So mommy... Even though I am over a million hills and far away... I am safe and will sleep with one eye open.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment