Saturday, June 11, 2011

earth

i woke up this morning to a rainy island day.

the jungle inhaled deeply as though it was about to tuck into a delicious meal set before it.

it was after 7am and i was alone in guest bungalow satu having slept through the entire night without moving it seemed. (an unusual treat.)

my sister tia skyped me from venice.
she was at my old house... the OM hOMe.
this is the house that i stumbled upon last year after returning from this very island i'm on, ready to finally part ways with my husband, jamie once and for all... and ready to start a life of crazy chaotic partying 24 hours a day in the vortex of venice synchronectar vibes.
i could see a scratchy picture through the screen of my computer...
i saw the turquoise bass guitar jamie bought me after we had gotten in a terrible fight while living in london.
i came home still fuming... steam coming out of my ears... and this beautiful turquoise bass was propped up on the bed with rose petals sprinkled all over our tiny shoebox apartment in notting hill.

...and then there it was. on the other side of the earth in my old house with my old roommates. my old friends. my soul brothers.

suddenly the screen went green and i couldn't see anything.
(maybe i was seeing green because i was green with envy that tia was there.)
the boys played me the OM hOMe song and then aaron glass hit me with another song.
i cried a tear or two and sang along even though i couldn't see.
i got a picture back for a moment and saw my angel dog Abby.
then a friend walked on screen and it all died.
so i surrendered.
i shook off the FOMO (fear of missing out) and went to get a cup of coffee in the driftwood castle.

the rain came down all morning.
we all sat together in a clump of bodies draped over pillows watching movies on birdie's computer.

although the sun never came out, the rain subsided after lunch and i knew it was time to go be in the earth.
i felt the jungle calling me.
it seemed to sigh under my feet as i walked back to the bungalow to change clothes.

it's not sunset and i am back in the dritfwood castle and wrote this email to tia, my sister:


Tia:
whoa.
okay this is emotional.

i just took a shower.
i scrubbed my body clean.
i washed ants and a beetle from the skin of my arms
i washed a leaf off my thigh
and scrubbed the mud from the creases on the tops of my toes
i smelled the earth as the water ran down my face carrying with it the scent it had picked up in the jungle.

the earth.
the ground.
hands in the dirt.
fingers across the sand.
you.
flooding memories.
tears rolling down my dusty cheeks.
the day spent gardening.
weeding.
planting.
pulling.
clearing.
raking the path.
pushing a wheel barrow.
redistributing the dead leaves and earth to the other side of the island.
sweating profusely.

beaker sat above me in the trees all day.

this is what my day consisted of when i got off skype with you.
but you never left me today.
in my thoughts all day as i landscaped and worked in the garden.

my earth goddess sister.

you ARE.
you're my earth goddess.

no matter how crazy i have felt... no matter how much the winds of change have blown and scattered my leaves in the air and across the earth - often times like a santa ana windstorm... you have been the grounded earth that i have known i could settle upon.
the ground beneath me.
my environmental studies earth goddess sister.
i admire you so much.
i try to emmulate you every day of my life.
i appreciate you like you'll never know.

when i was literally "grounded" in high school you would stay home with me.
and here i am today on an island on the other side of the world up to my elbows in rich jungle earth... in the ground...
and you are beside me.
you are inside my heart so fully.

it makes me cry and makes my heart heave... heavy like the saturated leaves after a thunder storm like we had this morning when i was skyping with you
it was pouring rain.
and then it stopped.

and i found the earth.

i cleared the path today.

the book i am reading is called "Wild" by Jay Griffiths.
(check it if you need a book)

she said:
"but the path is not only space, a thin absence of forest: keeping a path open is an act of care, for the path is a line of belonging and walking it repeatedly is an act of intimate love."

thank you for being my path.
for showing me my path and supporting me as i walk it.

i love you earth goddess sister.

my muddy hands touch yours.

--------------
that afternoon back in the bungalow i found a letter my soul sister liz left me, tucked in my diary...
she wrote to me about the grounding week we had just spent together.
working in the garden, eating root vegetables, and being guided by the universe in grounding asana and meditation practices.
she drew this portrait of me:



i am so touched and moved and will keep this forever.

tonight tia emailed me and said that she was walking down the street in west hollywood and a piece of rose quartz (my spirit stone) fell from the sky to the earth at her feet.

she sent a photo.
there were people walking everywhere and a woman in a run DMC shirt with what looked like glow lights around her neck.
i felt on the opposite side of the planet.

oh wait... i am on the opposite side of the planet.

magic magic everywhere.

always.

No comments:

Post a Comment