Friday, June 15, 2012

No return ticket.



so much laughter and love as of late!

The Frey family has been here. A Newport Beach Dad who brought his his 32 year old son Aaron, 24 year old daughter Leona, 21 year old son Joe, and 14 year old son, Jack.
The two older sons have ironic tatto's on their legs, surf the big waves that have been rolling through, and are scared of monsters.
The daughter, Leona is a copywriter from San Francisco and we are "defacto best friends" as I explained to the guys on the Indies Trader 4 boat last night when we went over there for drinks and they asked if we were sisters.
I guess its just the 20something girl who grew up in SoCal vibe that we both give off - although i must say, i do see myself in my new friend - yes - she is a younger, cuter version of the way i see myself- but i respect her wit and thoroughly have enjoyed our time practicing yoga and laying out on the beautiful beach here.
She was pretty dead set on being best friends with Terry, our resident magician (she had pre-conceived dreams of pulling scarves from her mouth as his assistant) but it's been nice to have a tanorexic buddy to soak in the sun and read while everyone else surfs.
Last but not least is Jack Frey, the awesome 14 year old who legitimately was a rubik's cube champion.
Yea... that means not only did he solve that thing once - he can do it on command and fast.
He's currently coaching me. It makes my brain hurt.

Being around this close knit family has of course made me miss mine and think about them all the time.

My sister Lara is getting married at the end of August and I am going home for it... and actually, believe it or not... STAYING home. roots are going down in to the earth.
whoa.

I remember right where i was when i got the call - standing on the rocks at Lennox Head, East Australia. Tawney, Holly and her pregnant girlfriend who's name i can't remember - were all about to get into the ocean when my Aussie cell phone rang and it was my family telling me that Lara was getting married!

I knew it was coming but didn't expect it so soon and to be honest i was totally selfishly deflated and frustrated that i would have to come all the way home for it... When i left for Australia on March 1st, I wanted to be on the road for a year... I wanted to arrive in Indo and not have a plan like i did last year - and i wanted to see where the wind took me.

Before i even got to Indo and the wind was flying me back home.

My dad told me over the Aussie phone that he would fly me home for the wedding and then back out to Indonesia or wherever i was at that time. This alleviated my selfish stress and allowed me to be happy for my sister and then started getting really really excited about the wedding.

As you may know, I had a pretty heavy time not long after arriving in the Telos Islands in Indo... I came down with malaria while massaging Clay Marzo, an amazing surfer who was staying at the resort while Surfing Magazine did a big shoot and made a movie of the boys that were there.

During moments of lucidity while i was fevering and chattering, writhing around in pain, getting rubbed down with car oil, red onion and salt by a local traditional medicine woman and getting injections of mystery red fluids into my hips -- I found myself thinking about the children in the world who are suffering and dying daily from this disease without access to medicine... and it was just this catalyst that i definitively decided to study medicine - put myself into school and just plant the roots down and make it happen.
(a MAJOR decision for a vagabond, wandering love ninja)

So all of a sudden that quick trip home to watch Lara wed Rob became the thing that was bringing me home for real. No return ticket.

My dad booked my flight 2 days ago and I officially leave Indonesia July 4th.
My bags are still up in the Telos which is stressing me out a little but i have made a request to all my friends who run charter boats to please oh please help me getting them back to Padang.

Last night our friend Erik, who is the capitan of the Indies 4 and fully has a pet green parrot that sits on his shoulder while he sails the high seas... real.
Ya... anyways, he came to the island with his guests who were all doctors and one happened to live in my hometown, Pacfic Palisades - which is such a trip!
Two of the guys were anesthesiologists and I ended up talking to them for a really long time about my goals moving forward and medicine and all these things that made me so excited, i stayed up until midnight (basically an all nighter in island terms) -- sitting on the helicopter landing pad on the roof of their boat having constellations pointed out to us with high powered green laser pointers, and then having a little guitar time. (Erik played piano man with a guitar and a harmonica between his knees which RULED)... He said he might be able to help get my bags... I am hoping to have everyone on the case so i can get my shiznit back safe.

This morning i woke up and was practicing yoga in the Uma all by myself, which is a first since the Frey's have been here. All of them are into yoga and i have been teaching usually twice a day... a power yoga session for Leona and I and then a restorative, broga yoga sesh for the boys after they surf which is the best!

They had all gone to the beach today and i was in the driftwood castle alone rocking out to S. Carey (Sean from Bon Iver's solo project) which is now my Go-To yoga tunes...
when it occurred to me that i should apply to nursing school in Hawaii!
Although I have never been there, which is ridiculous when you consider how much i have traveled and how much i love and am positive that i belong in the tropics...
But never-the-less... i decided that maybe after i do this year at San Diego getting my pre-requisites in order, i should move to Hawaii and do my course there...

Another thing that has been playing in my mind and i am for some reason entertaining the thought of actually going to medical school and maybe even becoming a doctor.
It's just SO much more work, and im not sure if i can really commit to being in school for that long.
We will have to see what happens after this first year in San Diego.

SO the countdown in on - 3 weeks and i am going home.

Bitter sweet to say the least.
I am devastated to be leaving my Mentawai Island community that i love so much - this island, John, Ainz, Yona & Beaker...
Although in my heart i know that i will be back one day, my rational brain doesn't see how that could be possible in the near future being that my credit card declined last week trying to book my ticket home.
It seems i hit 15 thousand - my max limit on the trusty old Virgin Atlantic Amex.

But as Ainz said to me today - life is weird and long and who knows what will happen.

On the bright side, I get to go see my amazing family,  start this journey that will eventually enable me to be of service to humanity in a big way, cuddle with Rosie the cutest dog of all time, and be a part of my older sister's wedding!! All of those things rule and are coming soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment