Tuesday, December 20, 2011

O.W.L

Today I am in San Francisco after ten months abroad.
I am finding my feet back on American soil, somewhat disoriented but mostly just stunned by the joylessness in so-called "first world countries."
San Francisco is significantly better then gloomy London, which was my last stop en route back from Rishikesh, India last week... I nearly fell over on the cold wet cobblestone streets my first day back, when i realized that a bag of roasted chestnuts from a Waterloo Bridge street vendor cost the same as three nights accommodation in our lovely North Indian guesthouse.

I spent the last several months in such stark opposition to the world i am in today... Although i fully recognize how fortunate i am to be surrounded by this gorgeous city, among street art and skyscrapers, reunited with amazing friends i've been away from for too long... I still feel worlds away.

My heart is still nestled in the chaotic celebration of life that is India... Far from this sterile wealth of the western world.

It was last month, back in the curry flavored confetti explosion of a country that is India, where I was lucky enough to meet Joey - a bounding bright light of pure enthusiasm. Incredibly wise for his age, you can tell after knowing him for one day that he is a motivated guy who lives with purpose.

I, a self-proclaimed gypsy, travel around the world and find my reflection constantly in the eyes of like-beings. Those who have been drawn to explore the same remote parts of earth... And thus a new tribe of instantly beloved friends always seems to appear along my travels.
In Rishikesh we formed a crew quickly and all fell in love with one another.

Upon meeting Joey, he invited me to come be his photographer at the local orphanage.
"Ramana Gardens" is the beautiful home for children tucked in the hills that hang above the sacred Ganges River.
I had already heard about Ramana Gardens and was eager to go see it, so excitedly I agreed to accompany my new friend- this prince of positivity - to the orphanage.

He humbly explained to me on the long walk through the town and across the monkey riddled bridge that he and his friend had a non-profit project to bring children sized lacrosse sticks to kids in poverty stricken countries. He'd already hit South Africa, Argentina and Thailand, and this day I got to witness the magic of his project in India.

The orphans dove right in to Joey's massive blue duffle bag and started unwrapping the 20 or so short lacrosse sticks and green rubber balls. As all kids do, they were temporarily more interested in the mesh net that the ball came in and the packaging they discovered they could wear like costumes, then actually learning to play this new foreign game, but soon Joey was in action... Like the Pied Piper, leading a trail of growingly excited children through the orphanage grounds and out to a dilapidated field surrounded by broken building rubble and garbage.

There, on this makeshift lacrosse field, Joey taught the wide eyes orphans about a game that he clearly loves and I know nothing about... So while taking photos, I also got to learn about this relatively easy team sport through the beginner eyes of the kids.

Tossing the little green balls in the air and catching them again in the net, I saw a moment of metaphor. The net we Americans get to play with - and the safety net we live above... Sometimes it feels like we walk around in the U.S. with such amazing safety nets, baby-proofing throughout our lives.
Even paralleled in safety precautions and rules that don't exist in third world countries.
Here in India, the kids hoisted themselves up and over rusted gates and scaled rooftops that seemed to crumble beneath their feet as they climbed around retrieving lost balls.
There was so much joy though.
The children were picking it up quickly and you could see the sea of confidence and capability wash over each one. Joey threw them over his shoulder and tickled them when they cheated.

A part of me started to wish I was young again and then watching Joey I realized that it's a choice for us "grown ups"- we actually have an advantage for carrying a young heart because we also have our wisdom too...

I really like that Joey's project is called O.W.L. (One World Lacrosse)... The owl to me is a symbol of wisdom but also is a free wild bird that flies and soars like a soul in love. Such a great symbol of their mission! Wisdom and light hearted joy.

The inspiration from being with Joey at Ramana Gardens that day came in several different ways for me.
But mostly, i was being inspired at the ambition to create this non-profit... To live with an altruistic direction and drive... Not to mention, the joy and positive energy it is all birthed from.
I am really just so impressed with the project and excited that I got to help and be a part of it in my small way.

Since I have been back from India I have been seeing owls everywhere- painted on murals in the mission district... On t-shirts and business cards and art in my friend's homes.

I think it keeps popping up to remind me what is so easy to forget... To play and to be a kid... To be like the owl, light-hearted an wise... And to give back every chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment